Thursday, August 20, 2015

2015 Advice for New Actors in LA

Well my beginning actors, a whole four years have passed since I moved to LA and started this blog. I looked over the posts below and much of my information still remains relevant (the self-submission sites are still exactly the same). But of course, since 2011, SAG and AFTRA merged to become one union, SAG-AFTRA, so the initiation fee has changed.

My best advice for you out there reading this is that there really isn't one solution to success and everyone's experience will be different. Don't compare yourself to someone else. What takes one person less than a year could take five years for someone else. Believe me, people who have arrived in LA after me have booked more acting jobs than I ever have. It's not always about talent - it's about your vibe, your look, and whatever the director feels like going with. You can't control everything. Go out there, meet people, work on projects that interest you - but also don't say yes to everything. Not all student films, short films, or whatever internet commercial projects go somewhere. You might not even get to see the finished product. Your time is precious, so use it wisely. Do a few projects to get set experience and reel material, but don't settle for that. There was one week in the beginning of my career when I was literally driving around all parts of LA to audition for non-paying gigs and believe me that driving really was in vain. It's true you never know who you'll meet, but there'll always be more people you need to meet. There'll always be another networking night, granted you're still alive. Don't do workshops if you're a terrible actor - at least train before you do so.

Know who you are and what you want - don't lose sight of that. Good luck! If you have any questions, holler at me.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Janine! Thanks for reading. I've been eligible for several years now, but still need to book a job that will be worth me joining the union. But thanks to your comment, I'll work on an updated post on SAG-AFTRA.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete